Zinc in Ireland

Zinc

Zinc is the fourth most mined mineral resource in the world. Zinc is mainly used for galvanising – cars, construction, appliances and electronics. Therefore as a base metal it is a strong indicator of economic growth. As the world economy grows and an ever increasing middle-class, so does the demand for zinc. As both population and income grows in the emerging economies the long term fundamentals for zinc remain good.

However, poor economic returns in the 1980’s and 1990’s resulted in very little exploration over the past 30 years as a result mines are running out with the expectation that 1 million tonnes of supply per annum will be lost from the middle of the decade. Therefore increasing demand and an expected fall off in zinc supply will keep prices firm in the medium to long term.

Irish zinc has always been much sought after with two of the world’s largest zinc mines, Tara and Lisheen operating in the country. Both the grade and quality of Irish zinc is extremely high in comparison too many other zinc prospective areas.

Learn more about our Zinc projects !

Stonepark

Arkle Resources owns 23.44% of the Stonepark Zinc Project. The Stonepark discovery was originally made in 2007 by Arkle Resources (then Connemara Mining Company plc) with JV partners Teck Ireland Ltd. In 2018, new JV partners, Group Eleven Resources Corp., defined a maiden Independent NI43-101 Inferred Resource of 5.1 Mt grading 11.3% combined zinc and lead, making it the 2nd largest undeveloped zinc and lead Resource inIreland after Pallas Green.

Glencore’s Pallas Green contains 45.1 Mt Inferred Resources grading 8% combined zinc and lead. The Stonepark deposit lies to the west adjacent to Pallas Green, but at shallower depths. Opportunities for significant discovery exist elsewhere on the block-JV partner Group Eleven are integrating old and new data and have begun a preliminary drill program with a view to developing a new exploration model to the south of the project area. The government sponsored Tellus program is currently acquiring airborne geophysics over the entire block.

MORE DETAIL HERE

Oldcastle

Arkle Resources has a joint venture with Teck Ireland Ltd., a subsidiary of Teck Resources Limited, on our Oldcastle Block of licences in counties Cavan and Meath.Teck has earned in 75%, Arkle Resources owns the remaining 25%. An extensive exploration programme has been operated on five prospecting Licences–1051, 1053, 1991, 3925 & 3926–which constitute the Oldcastle Project. This Block covers an area of approximately 171km2, centred on the market town of Oldcastle.

This Block is located approximately 20 kilometres to the north-west of the giant lead-zinc ore deposit at Tara Mine, Navan (>100 Mt @ 10.1% zinc and 2.6% lead and 11g/t silver) which is currently operated by Boliden of Sweden.

MORE DETAIL HERE

Derrykearn

The Derrykearn Project consist of five licences in total, five contiguous licences in County Laois. The licences lie along the Rathdowney Trend, to the east of Galmoy, mined by Lundin and north-east of Lisheen Mine, mined byVedanta.

MORE DETAIL HERE

Ladyswell

Two contiguous licences, PL4504 and PL4505, in West Cork, south of Clonakilty. The licences surround the site of an historic baryte mine and numerous historic occurrences of base metals, including lead and silver, are recorded in the area.

Initial work will consist of mapping, sampling and assay of mineral occurrences. The government sponsored Tellus program is currently acquiring airborne geophysical data across an extensive area of West Cork which includes these two licences, data is expected to be available in Q2/Q3 2019.

MORE DETAIL HERE

Last updated : 27 June 2019